About University

About

The roots of the University of Khartoum (U of K) go back to 1898 when Lord Kitchener of Khartoum proposed founding a college in memory of General Gordon. Funds for the proposed college were raised by private subscription, and the plans for the building were drawn by the Khedive's architect, Fabricus Pasha. The new college, named the Gordon Memorial College, was officially opened in 1902, although it was not until 1903 that the buildings were completed and the first batch of primary level students were admitted. The College however, was never intended to be solely a primary school. A secondary stratum was added in 1905 for the purpose of training assistant engineers and land surveyors, and in 1906 a four year course for the training of primary school teachers was established. More details…

 

activities